- Population of 3.4 million with 1.34 million in capital city-Panama City.
- Tropical climate, with very little variance in temprature year round.
- Spanish is primary language, and Roman Catholics number 85%
- Panama Canal built between 1904-1914, by U.S. Army Corp of engineers.
- 50,000 carribean immigrants helped build canal and stayed in Panama.
- Ports at either end of canal are 2 of top 3 busiest ports in Latin America.
- Panama is 4th in Latin America on the Human Development Index.
- Fastest growning economy in Central America, with 4.2% unemployment.
- Despite growth, 1/3rd of country is below the poverty line.
- Current weather conditions – www.weather.com
- Tips for Travel in country – www.travel.state.gov
- Currency exchange rates – www.xe.com
Government in Power
Constitutional Democracy since 1990, following U.S. invasion to remove military dictator General Manuel Noriega. President Ricardo Martinelli is the head of government and state.
- Age structure: 0-14 is 29%, 15-64 is 64%, 65+ is 7%.
- Maternal mortality is 71 per 100,000. Births at 2.45 per woman.
- Infant mortality is 11.64 per 1,000.
- Life expectancy 75 yrs for men, and 80 yrs for women.
- Doctor density at 1.5 per 1,000.
- Hospital bed density at 2.2 per 1,000.
- HIV rate is 0.9%, with 20,000 currently infected.
- Disease risk is at Intermediate. Prevelant diseases are Bacterial Diarrhea, Denge Fever, and Malaria.
- Infectious disease updates: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm
Images From the Field
Here at the JAHJAHfoundation we wanted to do a little more than Mission Trips. We wanted to empower the individuals we met. Through Emergency Ultrasound we teach physicians in developing countries how to use the Ultrasound machine to make a difference in the lives of the patients they meet. We share ideas with our Jamaican […]
View All Stories »