- Population 8.2 million, capital is Tegucigalpa with 1 million people.
- 2nd poorest country in Central America with 65% living below poverty line.
- Sub-Tropical and temporate climate.
- Language is primarily Spanish with regional Amerindian dialects.
- 97% of country is Roman Catholic.
- 83% of population is literate. (high)
- 49 international governmental organizations working in country and numerous NGO’s.
- Economic growth is slow, causing the IMF to consider the country “Heavily indebted poor”
- Current weather conditions – www.weather.com
- Tips for Travel in country – www.travel.state.gov
- Currency exchange rates – www.xe.com
Government in Power
Democratic Constitutional Republic. Following Coup d’etat in 2009. Chief of state and government is President Porfiro LOBO Sosa. Honduras is a major shipping point for narcotics, so extensive corruption is prevalent throughout military and government.
- Maternal mortality 110 per 100,000. Birth rate of 3.09 children per woman.
- Infant mortality 20.44 per 1,000 births.
- LIfe expectancy is 69 yrs for men, and 72 yrs for women.
- Physician density is 0.57 per 1,000 people.
- Hospital bed density is 0.8 per 1,000 people.
- HIV rate is 2.2% with 39,000 currently infected.
- Prevalent diseases include bacterial diarrhea, Maleria, Typhoid, Hepatitis, Dengue fever, and water borne diseases like Leptospirosis.
- Age structure: 0-14 is 36%, 15-64 is 60%, and over 65 is 4%.
- Infectious disease updates: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm
Images From the Field
My first medical mission trip: In the following pages I will talk about my experiences on my first trip to Haiti following the devastating earthquake in January 2010. The biggest “first” is it was my first medical trip outside the United States. I had done disaster relief for Hurricane […]
View All Stories »