- Population: 4.6 million people.
- Capital city: San Jose.
- Gained independence from Spain in 1821.
- Climate is Tropical/Sub-Tropical, with wide range of natural disasters ( Hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanos, flooding and landslides).
- Population is 94% white/mestizo
- Spanish is the official language,
- Major religion – Roman catholic
- 64% 0f population lives in urban area
- 95% literacy rate
- 11% unemployment
- Tier 2 watch list country for high amount of sex trafficking and forced domestic service.
- Current weather conditions – www.weather.com
- Tips for Travel in country – www.travel.state.gov
- Currency exchange rates – www.xe.com
Government in Power
Democratic Republic. Head of government and state is President Laura Chinchilla Miranda.
- Maternal mortality 4.4 per 1,000 births. Average births per woman is 1.92.
- Infant mortality is 9.2 per 1,000 births.
- Life expectancy is 77.8 yrs.
- Health expenditures 10.9% of GDP.
- Physician density is 1.32 per 1,000 people.
- Hospital bed density is 1.2 beds per 1,000 people.
- HIV rate is 0.3%, with 9,800 currently infected.
- Disease risk: Intermediate.
- Prevalent diseases: Bacterial diarrhea, Malaria, and Leptospirosis.
- Has a very highly rated health care system…
- Public health care system known as the Caja available to all citizens and residents.
- Due to its hightly rated medical system available at lower costs, becoming a leading country in medical tourism.
- Infectious disease updates: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm
Images From the Field
I was on a bus from DC to NYC to arrange for an art show about my home (Syria) when I thought: what if I could do more? What if I can use art to do more than raise awareness about what’s going on at home! That’s when I thought of “Blooming Syria” a simple […]
View All Stories »