- Largest Western European country
- Motto: Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
- Official Language: French
- Capital City: Paris
- Population: 65.35 million
- GDP per capita $35,156
- Religions: Roman Catholic 83%-88%, Protestant 2%, Jewish 1%, Muslim 5%-10%, unaffiliated 4%
- 99% literacy rate
- France is divided into 27 administrative regions
- Founding member of the United Nations
- France is the second largest donor of development aid in the world, behind the US.
- While Metropolitan France is located in Western Europe, the French Republic also has a number of territories in North America, the Caribbean, South America, the southern Indian Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, and Antarctica.
- Current weather conditions – www.weather.com
- Tips for Travel in country – www.travel.state.gov
- Currency exchange rates – www.xe.com
Government in Power
Unitary semi-presidential constitutional republic
President: Francois Hollande
- In its 2000 assessment of world health care organizations, the World Health Organization found that France provided the “best over-all health care” in the world.
- Life Expectancy: 81.46 years
- Maternal Mortality rate: 8/100,000
- Infant Mortality rate: 3.7/1,000
- Physicians Density: 3.97/1,000
- HIV/AIDS 0.4%
- Obesity 16.9%
- Variant Creutzfeldt-Jacob and trichinosis outbreaks have been linked to horse meat.
- Measles cases down to 358 as of May 2012 from 15,206 in 2011
- Infectious Disease Risk: LOW
- Infectious disease updates: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm
Images From the Field
Mission trips have always been something I wanted to do…but a medical mission trip?? Never thought I would have the chance to be a part of something so amazing – as a non-medical person. When my son and his colleagues were gearing up for their first trip to Haiti soon after the earthquake, I was […]
View All Stories »